en garde!When in battle, Ky fights in a rather "elegant" manner, in fact, you may compare it to "fencing". His normal stance is hard to describe. He bends his knees in and out, raising the Fuuraiken above his head. His other hand follows the same direction as the hand holding the sword. It can be compared as a more 'defensive' look. Fencers never really have shields like knights do, so they have to prepare their swords for any attack. This is extended to Ky's block. He will use the entire length of the sword to cover his front region by aiming it downward. When walking backward, he raises the blade adjacent to his eyes and slowly move back on his heels.
Ky plays little dirt when fighting. Each punch, kick, and stab is not performed in a repugnant manner. He stays alert using only the most respectable ways of fighting - meaning, he doesn't try to sneak in another body part like a hip, headbutt, nails, etc. In addition, he gives no ugly faces even if he's getting beaten up to a bloody pulp. Ky treats every battle with the greatest respect, especially when fighting his rival, Sol.
Ky is about an "average" kind of fighter. And I don't mean just in strength. Ky is pretty much the only "normal" fighter in the entire series. And I think that's the main problem why he isn't very popular - he's boring. People playing around with wacky characters, pulling objects out of nowhere, moving around odd weapons, and laugh like a hyena. Ky is too serious to give us anything out of the ordinary. He swings his sword and summons lightning magic, and that's about it. I have seen criticism of his fighting style that he is too "generic", though the recent games made some decent improvements. He's also too predictable that he doesn't stand much of a chance when it comes to elite fighting. But I am pretty sure there are those who are quite experienced in playing Ky who can take advantage of his long-range and predictability by playing mind games with the opponent.
- Beginning a Battle - Ky has several opening poses. In one, he is facing the - erm, audience I should say? - with his sword down. He then raises it above, then lowers it so it is perpendicular to his face. Lightning charges, then Ky returns to his initial battle pose. In another, Ky is in a bowing position on the floor. He has his cross out, which he kisses the tip of, then stuffs it inside of his shirt (God knows where if he has a pocket in there or something). He stands up and speaks to his opponent. And finally, he returns to his position. When fighting against a certain Gear, Ky faces the front, while clutching his sword as the wind blows the cross-end of his uniform (which is weird if you are inside a place). He stretches his arm, then follows back to the battle pose. When fighting several people like Kliff, Robo-Ky, or Jam, he starts directly in the same position when he stands after he hides his crucifix.
- Winning a Battle - In his normal victories, Ky has generally two positions. One more common one is where Ky smiles, then elegantly moves the sword against his hip, similarly how knights put their swords in their sheaths. In another, he faces the audience, and crosses his arms around his chest. When versus Sol, Ky will clutch his face in fury, then angrily release his arm like he wants to throw something.
- Losing a Battle - Er, Ky is always going to be on the floor usually when losing a battle. He'll give a loud cry, as he collapses. When there is a time-out, Ky will use his 'Dizzy' pose.
- Dizzied - Ky faces the audience lowering the edge of his sword to the ground. He presses a palm against his head and shake it madly until he regains control of his battle.
- Afro'd - Faust's most famous Instant Kill is one of the biggest laughs in the game. He'll tie the opponent to a bed and try to use a detonator to blast him away. Usually, it works, but in his EX form, Faust fails. He tries to examine the problem, only to accidentally trigger the bomb. The blast will only tear damage to clothing and give the opponent a bad afro. So how does the Holy Knight play for this hijink? Ky plays on, what I believe to be, fan service. Ky's afro isn't anything crazy like Millia's or Dizzy's, just a short blond curl around him. What is more amusing is how much of his outfit is ripped. Ky's entire top region is blown away, so all the ladies can check out his muscles and skin (though his arms cover much of his nudity). I personally think they made Ky more bulky than what he really is (Why does his sprite contrast with his XX artwork?).
- Taunt - Ky has generally two different taunts: one that insults his fighter, the other that compliments him/her. One I personally think is egotistical is where Ky rests one hand on his hip, and uses the other to stroke his hair, mocking the style of his opponent. The other is where Ky looks down on the ground, placing a hand over his chest. He pulls his arm forward, almost in a beckoning state, complimenting his opponent. Perhaps he may ask them to consider joining the police.